A New Spark  

7.30.2009

Mr. B has always been unselfish and supportive. This is one of the things I love most about him. He has put his life entirely on hold so that I can pursue my career- this, even though he's older than me and arguably needs a break from the "grind" much more than I do. So it might seem surprising when I say that his unselfishness needs to be tempered (and, happily, today it was)!

I read a book years ago- one that I can't remember the name or author of but that had at least one memorable passage. Since I can't remember the book I can't find the exact quote, but I'll paraphrase:

Being a good lover isn't just about skill. It's about being able to let the other person be a good lover, too- it's about letting someone love you back.
This is what I mean by "temper the unselfishness." There are moments when Mr. B feels burned out, exhausted and unhappy, and I feel horrible. Though I know he followed me cross-country willingly and we planned for him to work while I go to school together, I know that if it weren't for me he'd be in school (or graduated) by now. I also know that because of the obligations of law school (both financial and temporal), I can't do much to alleviate Mr. B's feelings of entrapment and wariness. It's frustrating, heartbreaking, to be unable to help the person you love. And if they cling too fiercely to the unselfishness, they can't accept even the help you are able to give.

A big part of the above tension changed today: we officially enrolled Mr. B in classes for this fall semester! I knew he'd be excited. I knew I'd be happy and proud of him. I knew it would be beneficial for our relationship for him to have an intellectual outlet and worthy pursuit of his own. I just didn't anticipate the giddiness I would feel when we walked out of the Registration office, holding his new class schedule in our hands! It is a wonderful feeling!

This "new spark" is a recognition of Mr. B's intellectual value to me. It is also an acknowledgment of deservedness- he has been waiting a long time for this, and I am so happy to see him go after it! By no means do I think I should get credit- honestly I am still a limiting factor more than anything. But I feel like Mr. B is taking this step and allowing me to walk with him as he does so; he's allowing me to support him, to love him, and that makes our relationship stronger than one person bearing the brunt of the hardships alone.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Email this post

0 comments: to “ A New Spark

 
Design by Blogger Buster